Patient Support and Financial Resources
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#7 The Florida ESRD Network
5201 W. Kennedy Boulevard Suite 900
Tampa, FL 33609
Florida Agency for Healthcare Administration
- Adult Programs: The Medically Needy program can help pay for Medicaid-covered services.
- Programs for Children: Florida KidCare is the state's children's health insurance program for uninsured children under age 19.
- Additional Programs: Cover Florida provides affordable health insurance coverage for persons between ages of 19 and 64 who are without health insurance.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Florida offers Medigap Insurance to dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: The federal government will run the health insurance exchange in Florida.
- Medicaid: It is not know at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Sesssion Schedule
Convenes: March 3, 2015
Adjourns: May 1, 2015 (estimate)