Patient Support and Financial Resources
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#12 Heartland Kidney Network
7306 NW Tiffany Springs Pky. Suite 230
Kansas City, MO 64152
Iowa Medicaid Enterprise
- Adult Programs: Provides health insurance for low-income adults and families, and people with disabilities.
- Programs for Children: Healthy and Well Kids in Iowa (Hawk-i) Provide low cost (or if eligible, free) health insurance coverage for uninsured children of working families.
- Medication Programs: Iowa Medication Voucher Program Assist low income Iowans with the purchase of eligible prescription drugs using a voucher system; patient copay is $3.
- Additional Programs: Health Insurance Premium Payment Program (HIPP) Health insurance premium payment program that helps people get insurance or keep insurance they already have by paying for the premiums. Hawk -I health care coverage for uninsured children of working families. No family pays more than $20 a month. Some families even pay nothing at all.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Iowa will run its health insurance exchange in partnership with the federal government.
- Medicaid: It is not known at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 12, 2015
Adjourns: April 20, 2016 (estimated