Patient Support and Financial Resources
Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi, Inc
The Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi provides free one-time emergency assistance with diabetes-related medicines and testing supplies to uninsured/underinsured residents of Mississippi.
Mississippi Kidney Foundation
Offers assistance funds for kidney and transplant patients living in Mississippi.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#8 ESRD Network
Patients Only Toll-Free: 1-877-936-9260
State Run Programs
Mississippi Division of Medicaid
- Adult Programs: Helps pay for medical services for low-income people.
- Programs for Children: CHIP is designed to provide health care insurance for children in families without health insurance or with inadequate health insurance. Children's Medical Program Medical and surgical care to children with chronic or disabling conditions.
- Medication Programs: Senior RX MS helps low-income, uninsured Mississippi residents get access to patient assistance programs where they may qualify for free, or nearly free, prescription medicines. 1-800-948-3090
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Mississippi offers Medigap Insurance for dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Mississippi will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will not expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 7, 2014
Adjourns: April 7, 2014 (estimated)