Patient Support and Financial Resources
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency
#16 Northwest Renal Network
4702 42nd Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116
State Run Programs
Oregon Health Plan (OHP)
- Adult Programs: Oregon Medicaid provides health care coverage to low-income residents.
- Programs for Children: Healthy Kids Low-cost or free health care coverage for Oregon children who don't have health insurance.
- Medication Programs: Emergency Prescription Assistance -Multnomah County Assists low income seniors and disabled persons with the cost of prescription medicines. Oregon Prescription Drug Program (OPDP) Prescription drug assistance program.
- Additional Programs: Oregon Medical Insurance Pool (OMIP) Health insurance coverage for those: unable to obtain insurance because of a health condition; or who have exhausted their COBRA benefits, or lost coverage due to foreign trade competition. Family Health Insurance Assistance Program /FHIAP Pays from 50% to 95% of private health insurance premiums for qualifying families.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Oregon will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: It is not known at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: February 3, 2014
Adjourns: March 8, 2014 (estimated)