Patient Support and Financial Resources
National Kidney Foundation of New England
This foundation has a grant to assist patients who have kidney disease or are transplant recipients with a variety of needs.
The Kidney Transplant/Dialysis Association, Inc. (KT/DA)
The KT/DA provides direct financial aid to needy kidney patients and donors in New England.
P.O. Box 51362 GMF
Boston, MA 02205-1362
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#1 Network of New England
30 Hazel Terrace
Woodbridge, CT 06525
State Run Programs
Dept. for Families and Children
- Adult Programs: The State of Vermont offers no or low-cost health insurance programs to Vermonters, under the umbrella of Green Mountain Care.
- Programs for Children: Dr. Dynasaur is a health insurance program for children, teens under 18 and pregnant women.
- Additional Programs: A family of health insurance plans offered by the State of Vermont and its partners that includes plans such as Catamount Health, Vermont Health Access Plan (VHAP), Dr. Dynasaur, Medicaid, and a number of pharmacy assistance and premium assistance programs.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Vermont offers Medigap Insurance for dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Vermont will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 9, 2013
Adjourns: May 10, 2014 (estimated)
Recess: May 15, 2013 to January 7, 2014 (estimated)