Patient Support and Financial Resources
Alabama Kidney Foundation
This foundation has a variety of programs to assist patients suffering from kidney disease.
A financial assistance program exists for dialysis patients, but current kidney patients in stages 1-4 of chronic kidney disease are not eligible. A maximum award of $150 is available per patient. Income is not a factor for eligibility in this program. The patient must be on dialysis, a state resident and seek aid through their social worker.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#8 ESRD Network
1755 Lelia Drive, Suite 400
Jackson, MS 39216
- Adult Programs: Pays for medical and long-term care services for low-income pregnant women, children, certain people on Medicare, disabled individuals and nursing home residents. These individuals must meet certain income and other requirements.
- Programs for Children: ALL Kids is a low-cost, comprehensive healthcare coverage program for children under age 19.
- Medication Programs: SenioRX/Wellness Resource Center Prescription assistance and wellness program for people over age 55 with chronic medical conditions and no prescription coverage.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: The federal government will run the health insurance exchange in Alabama.
- Medicaid: Alabama will not expand Medicaid.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: March 3, 2015
Adjourns: June 15, 2015 (estimated)