Patient Support and Financial Resources
The Kidney Transplant/Dialysis Association, Inc. (KT/DA)
The KT/DA provides direct financial aid to needy kidney patients and donors in New England.
P.O. Box 51362 GMF
Boston, MA 02205-1362
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#1 Network of New England
30 Hazel Terrace
Woodbridge, CT 06525
State of Connecticut Department of Social Services
Inside Connecticut 1-800-842-1508
Outside Connecticut 1-860-424-5016
- Adult Programs: Medicaid for low income adultsf ages 19-64 who are not pregnant or are medically disabled.
- Programs for Children: The HUSKY Plan offers a full health insurance package for children and teenagers up to age 19, regardless of family income.
- Medication Programs: ConnPACE -Connecticut Pharmaceutical Assistance Contract to the Elderly7 and Disabled Allows eligible senior citizens and people with disabilities to afford the cost of most prescription medications.
- Additional Programs: Charter Oak offers coverage to the uninsured and to many adults experiencing financial hardship in paying unaffordable, non-group premiums on their own. 1-877-77CTOAK. Connecticut’s Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan now offers a comprehensive health benefits package at limited out-of-pocket cost to you. 1-800-656-6684.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Connecticut does offer Medigap Insurance for dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Connecticut will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 7, 2015
Adjourns: June 3, 2015 (estimated)