Patient Support and Financial Resources
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#17 Western Pacific Renal Network
505 San Marin Dr. Bldg. A, Suite 300
Novato, CA 94945
- Adult Programs: Medicaid Fee-For-Service - Traditional Medicaid Quality health care services to eligible low-income residents of this state.
- Programs for Children: Children with Special Health Needs Program (CSHNP):Serves children who have or may have long-term or chronic health conditions that requires specialized medical care, and their families.
- Medication Programs: The Med-QUEST Division (MQD ) of the Hawaii State Department of Human Services (DHS) has programs that provide medical coverage for low income Hawaii residents.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Hawaii offers Medigap Insurance to dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Hawaii will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will expand Medicaid eligibility.