Patient Support and Financial Resources
Prescriptions will be filled for up to 100 tablets; refills are also free. The specific medication(s) in the program may change from time to time; as of 4/20/10, metformin (Glucophage) was available.
Make A Difference Michiana
Formerly known as the Diabetes Association of St. Joseph County and the Diabetes Education Center, the agency has been in the community since 1955 helping local people with diabetes manage their disease. It provides financial assistance to help defray the costs of medication and medical supplies to residents of St. Joseph County who have diabetes and meet income qualifications.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#10 ESRD Network "The Renal Network"
911 E. 86th Street, Suite 202
Indianapolis, IN 46240
- Adult Programs: Hoosier Healthwise is a health insurance program for Indiana children, pregnant women, and low-income families. Health care is provided at little or no cost to Indiana families enrolled in the program.
- Programs for Children: Children's Special Health Care Services provides supplemental medical coverage to help families of children with serious, chronic medical conditions
- Medication Programs: Hoosier RX Assistance helps in paying Medicare Part D (drug) premiums. 1-866-267-4679
- Additional Programs: Indiana's health care program to serve individuals who may have special health needs or benefit from specialized attention. People served by Care Select may be aged, blind, disabled, members who get room and board assistance, members on M.E.D. Works, wards of the court and foster children, children receiving adoptive services and members on a home and community based (HCBS) waiver.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: The federal government will run the health insurance exchange in Indiana.
- Medicaid: It is not known at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 6, 2015
Adjourns: April 15, 2015