Patient Support and Financial Resources
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#13 ESRD Network
4200 Perimeter Center Drive, Suite 102
Oklahoma City, OK 73112
- Adult Programs: Provides medical care to needy Louisiana residents who qualify.
- Programs for Children: LaCHIP offers low cost or no cost health care plans for uninsured Louisiana children up to age 19. Eligibility is based on family size and income.
- Medication Programs: Cenla Medication Access Program (CMAP) Chronic care prescription medications for people who cannot afford them.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Louisiana offers Medigap Insurance to dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: The federal government will run the health insurance exchange in Louisiana.
- Medicaid: The state will not expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: April 3, 2015
Adjourns: June 11, 2015