Patient Support and Financial Resources
National Kidney Foundation of New England
This foundation has a grant to assist patients who have kidney disease or are transplant recipients with a variety of needs.
The Kidney Transplant/Dialysis Association, Inc. (KT/DA)
The KT/DA provides direct financial aid to needy kidney patients and donors in New England.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#1 Network of New England
30 Hazel Terrace
Woodbridge, CT 06525
MassHealth (Office of Medicaid)
- Adult Programs: provides comprehensive health insurance—or help in paying for private health insurance
- Programs for Children: The Children's Medical Security Plan (CMSP) is a basic health insurance program offered by the Executive Office of Health and Human Services for Massachusetts children and teens under the age of 19 years.
- Medication Programs: Prescription Advantage Prescription drug insurance plan for Mass seniors and disabled individuals of any age who meet certain guidelines.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Massachusetts does not offer Medigap Insurance to dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Massachusetts will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 7, 2015
Adjourns: January 4, 2017