Patient Support and Financial Resources
National Kidney Foundation Serving Southern California & Southern Nevada
This foundation has an emergency assistance fund to aid dialysis and transplant patients who are experiencing financial crisis.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#15 Intermountain End Stage Renal Disease Network
165 S. Union Blvd., Suite 466
Lakewood, CO 80228
State Run Programs
Division of Welfare and Supportive Services
Northern Nevada 1-775-684-7200
Southern Nevada 1-702-486-1646
- Adult Programs: Nevada Medicaid A health insurance program which provides quality health care services to eligible low-income Nevadans.
- Programs for Children: Nevada Check Up Provides low-cost, comprehensive health care coverage to low-income, uninsured children through age 18.
- Medication Programs: Nevada Senior RX A program that provides Nevada seniors (with or without Medicare Part D) with assistance paying for medication. Nevada Disability Rx Provides assistance with the cost of prescription medications to qualified individuals with disabilities.
- Additional Programs: Health Insurance for Work Advancement (HIWA) Health insurance plan for disabled individuals who are working or seeking work.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: Nevada will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: February 2, 2013
Adjourns: June 3, 2013
No Even Year Session