Patient Support and Financial Resources
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#15 Intermountain End Stage Renal Disease Network
165 S. Union Blvd., Suite 466
Lakewood, CO 80228
State Run Programs
New Mexico Human Service Dept.
- Adult Programs: No cost or low cost health insurance coverage to uninsured and financially eligible citizens.
- Programs for Children: New Mexikids Provides no cost or low cost health care coverage for children under 13 years old. New MexiTeens No cost or low cost health care coverage for children 13 to 19.
- Medication Programs: State Insurance Coverage (SCI) Low cost health insurance for eligible New Mexico adults who are working and without health insurance.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: New Mexico will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: It is not known at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 21, 2014
Adjourns: February 20, 2014