Patient Support and Financial Resources
National Kidney Foundation Serving the Alleghenies
Provides financial assistance to patients and families who are experiencing a financial crisis due to kidney disease or transplantation.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#5 Mid-Atlantic Renal Coalition
1527 Huguenot Road
Midlothian, VA 23113
State Run Programs
West Virginia Bureau for Medical Services
- Adult Programs: The Bureau for Medical Services is committed to administering the Medicaid Program, while maintaining accountability for the use of resources, in a way that assures access to appropriate, medically necessary, and quality health care services for all members; provide these services in a user friendly manner to providers and members alike; and focus on the future by providing preventive care programs.
- Programs for Children: The West Virginia Children's Health Insurance Program (WVCHIP) is a low cost health care plan for children and teenagers of working families.
- Additional Programs: AccessWV is a health plan created by West Virginia statute to provide health insurance to West Virginians who have been unable to find or who have been denied health insurance in the private market because of a medical condition.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: West Virginia will run its health insurance exchange in partnership with the federal government.
- Medicaid: It is not known at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 8, 2014
Adjourns: March 8, 2014 (estimated)