On October 1, online health insurance exchanges went live. Here's what dialysis patients should know about the Affordable Care Act (also known as ACA or "Obamacare"):
- Health insurance sold in the ACA exchanges is for people who do not (or will not after January 1) have health insurance provided by Medicare or an employer-sponsored health plan.
- Kidney patients who have received a transplant and whose Medicare coverage has ended/will end soon will want to explore receiving coverage through an ACA exchange plan. Pre-existing conditions will not be a barrier to purchasing an exchange plan.
- DPC staff is researching whether, for some people, an ACA exchange plan might offer better coverage at a lower cost than Medicare.
- The proposed cuts to dialysis reimbursement are NOT related to Obamacare.
- We are hopeful that expanded health coverage and improved access to care will mean that more people with chronic kidney disease can delay or avoid end-stage renal disease.