Patient Support and Financial Resources
Diabetes Foundation, Inc- Medical Assistance Program
This foundation provides assistance in paying for diabetes medications or supplies to residents of New Jersey who are in financial hardship.
Diabetic Eye Disease Detection Program
This program provides diabetic eye disease screenings and medical referral for corrective or preventive eye services for individuals with diabetes.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
Quality Insights Renal Network #3
Cranbury Gates Office Park 109 South Main Street, Suite 21
Cranbury, NJ 08512
State Run Programs
New Jersey Dept. of Human Services
- Adult Programs: NJ Medicaid Health insurance to needy families with dependent children, pregnant women, and the elderly, blind or disabled.
- Programs for Children: NJ FamilyCare is a federal and state funded health insurance program created to help New Jersey's uninsured children and certain low-income parents and guardians to have affordable health coverage.
- Medication Programs: Senior Gold Assistance in paying for prescriptions for seniors and disabled adults. End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) Patient Assistance Program Provides financial reimbursement for formulary-based medications and supplements for people with ESRD receiving dialysis.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
New Jersey offers Medigap Insurance for dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: The federal government will run the health insurance exchange in New Jersey.
- Medicaid: It is not known at this time whether the state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 14, 2014
Adjourns: January 12, 2016