Patient Support and Financial Resources
National Kidney Foundation of Central New York
Provides emergency financial aid for patients and their families who are coping with the effects of chronic kidney disease.
Quality Improvement Organization
Quality Improvement Organizations receive and investigate patient grievances relating to quality of care generally (e.g., complaints regarding physicians, hospitals, or outpatient facilities other than dialysis facilities). They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. Quality Improvement Organizations operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
State Health Insurance Assistance Program
State Health Insurance Assistance Programs offer one-on-one counseling and assistance to people with Medicare and their families regarding eligibility and coverage. State Health Insurance Assistance Programs operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
ESRD Networks receive and investigate patient grievances relating to dialysis care. They usually attempt to mediate any disputes brought to their attention. They also engage in quality improvement activities unrelated to patient complaints. ESRD Networks operate under contracts with the federal Medicare agency.
#2 IPRO End Stage Renal Disease Network of New York
1979 Marcus Avenue
Lake Success, NY 11042
State Run Programs
New York State Department of Health
- Adult Programs: Medical care for eligible residents who can't afford it. Family Health Plus is a public health insurance program for adults who are aged 19 to 64 who have income or resources too high to qualify for Medicaid.
- Programs for Children: Child Health Plus provides health insurance for kids Depending on family income children may be eligible for either Children's Medicaid or Child Health Plus.
- Medication Programs: Elderly Pharmaceutical Insurance Coverage (EPIC) Two plans to help pay prescription costs for the elderly: Fee Plan, and the Deductible Plan.
- Additional Programs: Working People with Disabilities may qualify for a Medicaid buy-in program.
Organ Donor Registry
Organ donation can save as many eight lives through transplantation. There are nearly 100,000 kidney patients on the transplant list with only 10,000 donors. This disparity leads to an average wait time of 3-5 years to receive a transplant. To learn more about joining the registry, please visit the resources listed below.
New York offers Medigap Insurance for dialysis patients under 65.
Health Reform Status
- Exchange: New York will run its own state-based health insurance exchange.
- Medicaid: The state will expand Medicaid eligibility.
Legislative Session Schedule
Convenes: January 9, 2013
Adjourns: January 7, 2015
Recess: June 22, 2013 to January 7, 2014 (estimated)