fbpx

Congress: Prevent Dialysis Patients’ Unnecessary Suffering

2024-03-29T01:09:13+00:00January 23rd, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

Kidney failure touches the lives of millions of Americans. Dialysis and transplants are the only treatments for this life-altering disease. I have been on dialysis for 10 years, which has been a physical and mental roller coaster. In the first five years of treatment, I relied on employer-provided insurance. This private insurance provided comprehensive care, including dental and eye care. However, I lost that comprehensive coverage when I transitioned to Medicare. Although I am doing well, it would’ve been tough to start on Medicare at the beginning of my dialysis journey. Unfortunately, a recent Supreme Court ruling now allows private [...]

Letter: Dialysis patients need Congress’ help

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 22nd, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

As a leader in the Kidney Foundation of Central Pennsylvania, I see how much financial concerns weigh on the hearts of kidney patients. People become overwhelmed by the out-of-pocket costs of dialysis treatment, and that stress can become too much, worsening health outcomes. We need to make it easier for dialysis patients to pay for treatment. They have productive lives to live – they just need the tools to live them. Private insurance is often a golden ticket for dialysis patients, helping cover most, if not all, of the costs of dialysis treatment. My husband, a former dialysis patient, had [...]

Letter: Protect NH dialysis patients

2024-04-24T16:18:08+00:00January 22nd, 2024|Categories: Featured Spotlight, Patient Ambassadors, Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage, Spotlight|

Protect dialysis access To the Editor: All dialysis patients are required to have Medicare as their primary insurer after 30 months from when they start dialysis, but the law has always allowed us to keep our private insurance until then if we wanted. Now, a Supreme Court decision from 2022 may allow private insurers to reduce coverage of many life-saving dialysis services. Keeping coverage after starting dialysis provides stability during a very difficult time. After this ruling, dialysis patients may have to worry about the hassle of switching to Medicare at the same time they worry about starting dialysis. The [...]

Letter: Give dialysis patients a hand

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 21st, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

Dear editor, My father, Bill Robinson, passed away 10 years ago from complications related to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD). Yet, he lived a relatively full, healthy and active life. Dialysis allowed him to continue living and working for 10 years. As his primary caretaker, I saw firsthand the problems afflicting kidney patients. I witnessed many patients struggling to pay for life-saving treatment, which can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. Luckily, my father had private health insurance to cover the costs of his treatment. However, a recent Supreme Court decision may affect the lives of dialysis patients [...]

Letter: Help dialysis patients

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 21st, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

When you start dialysis, which I was on for three years, there is a lot of uncertainty and fear. However, worrying about immediately changing health insurance plans after diagnosis hasn’t typically been a problem for most patients, because private insurance companies had to cover treatments for 30 months before the patient automatically joins Medicare. However, the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling last year that could potentially weaken long-standing protections that are essential for dialysis patients. This is highly concerning, because the last thing that new dialysis patients need is their coverage slipping away while beginning to live with dialysis. [...]

Protect insurance for dialysis

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 21st, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage, Spotlight|

The life of a dialysis patient is one of constant uncertainty. I could not continue working when I started dialysis, as is the case for many other patients. Thankfully, my spouse’s private insurance helped cover the treatment costs. Without private insurance, I would have been on the hook for thousands of dollars. I also could have lost my amazing in-network doctors and the option for at-home dialysis. In short, I would have had a completely different journey through kidney failure. It is critical that kidney patients have the option to keep their private insurance for as long as possible on [...]

Dialysis patients should not be singled out

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 21st, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

Kidney failure is not a death sentence. With the right healthcare, Americans on dialysis can live energetic, productive lives. Unfortunately, paying for dialysis in America has become a Herculean task. Medicare only covers 80%, and the remaining 20% can cost thousands per year. Private insurance usually covers the first 30 months of dialysis before patients’ transition, by law, to Medicare. However, a Supreme Court decision last year could allow private insurance companies to deny certain treatments to dialysis patients and deplete their coverage during that period. I urge Congress to pass legislation amending the Medicare Secondary Payer Act and securing [...]

Protect dialysis patients from shocking bills

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 19th, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

Last year I wrote to you about the shocking moment when my young daughter was diagnosed with kidney failure. Thankfully, I was able to be her part-time caregiver with the help of our primary physician through her dialysis treatment and the many health challenges she faced. The last thing dialysis patients should worry about is money. That’s why I’m writing to you again to share my concern about a recent U.S. Supreme Court ruling that allows insurance companies to weaken health coverage for dialysis patients and push them to Medicare before the traditional 30-month transition window. Being forced onto Medicare [...]

Letter: dialysis funding

2024-03-29T01:09:14+00:00January 18th, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

When your kidneys fail, dialysis is your hope for a better future. But affording dialysis can be a tricky ordeal because Medicare, which all dialysis patients are required to have as their primary provider after 30 months, only covers 80% of the treatment costs. For me, paying the other 20% was hard because, as someone under the age of 65, I had to pay high premiums for my supplemental plan. Unfortunately, paying for the coverage that saves patients' lives is about to become even more difficult. The Supreme Court decided that private insurance companies no longer have to provide full [...]

Give dialysis patients time to plan

2024-03-29T01:09:15+00:00January 18th, 2024|Categories: Patient Stories in the News, Private Insurance Coverage|

Kidney failure changed my life. I’ve learned a thing or two after spending 18 years on dialysis, receiving a kidney transplant, and spending years as an advocate for my fellow patients. In the initial 30 months of dialysis, dialysis patients have traditionally had the option to keep their private insurance in order to plan for their inevitable transition to Medicare. Planning proves especially important for patients who may no longer receive employer-provided insurance, since dialysis often prevents people from working. However, a recent Supreme Court decision may allow private insurers to diminish coverage for dialysis patients in that 30-month window, [...]

Go to Top